Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I realise it is not common but how easy is it to change the

I realise it is not common but how easy is it to change the ownership of a property FROM tenants in common TO joint tenants?

HelloCustomer

Thanks for your question.

You will need to enter in to a trust deed with the other tenant in common stating that you wish to change the tenancy from tenants in common to joint tenants. Form RX3 must then be submitted to the Land Registry to remove the Form A Restriction (which is the restriction on the registered title indicating you hold your interest as TIC) with a certified copy of the trust deed attached. They will send you evidence of the change once completed.

The trust deed is very straightforward and local solicitor will be able to draft it for you for a very small fee. You can probably make the application mentioned above yourself without the need to pay a conveyancer to do it for you. The Land Registry's customer service personnel are very helpful, particularly when it is a someone acting without a conveyancer, you can call them on 0844(NNN) NNN-NNNN

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom