Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My aunt has just died, and her husband died 2 years ago. With

Customer Question

My aunt has just died, and her husband died 2 years ago. With inheritance tax will it be joint or single
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If your aunty's husband died and he still had some of his inheritance tax nil rate band (ie. the amount of his estate that is allowed to pass without being subject to inheritance tax) left following the administration of his estate then your aunty's estate will be allowed to use that unused portion for use in the administration of her estate.

To transfer the unused portion the executors/personal representatives of your aunty's estate will complete certain HMRC forms and submit it to them with supporting documents in order to do this.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Her husbands funds are in trust and will be going to his nieces.. while she was alive she got the interest from the money. Now she has died his money will be distributed out. How does that stand.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

It will not effect the availability of the unused portion of your aunty's nil rate band for transfer in to her estate, if there is any left then her estate will still get the benefit of it provided the executors comply with HMRC's procedural requirements.

Thank you for the kind accept.

Kind regards,