Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hello, we are about to launch a new UK company selling product

Hello, we are about to launch a new UK company selling product online. We are seeking advise about any returns policy, right to cancel etc.
We are selling staircases. Are there a set of rules we have to work to?

HelloCustomer

Thanks for your question.

If you are selling goods over the internet then those contracts for sale will be subject to what are called the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. This is the main form of legislation in your area.

They are designed to your customers clear information over the goods and services you are providing to them, delivery arrangements, your details, their rights to terminate and payment. You should read them carefully, if there are elements of your contract that do not comply with the regulations you may have issues of contract enforceability.

The Office of Fair Trading has produced a very good guidance book on the regulations I would certainly give it a good reading prior to entering in to contractual relations:-

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom