Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

this is to do with my mothers will,she left all her grandchildren

this is to do with my mothers will,she left all her grandchildren £2000 each but my son who had died she stated to the solicitor that she wanted his share to be divided between his four children, this weekend they all received a cheque for £ 2000 each which was not correct,i am executor with my neice and we both know this was not her wishes.
ON ALL THE PECUNIARY LEGACIES THE WORDING IS TO EACH GRANDCHILD, BUT THE WORDING ON THE GREATGRAND CHILDREN IS, TO SUCH AS SHALL SURVIVE ME AND IF MORE THAN ONE IN EQUALLY SHARES ABSOLUTELY.
WE TAKE THIS AS THE £2000 BEING SHARED, PLEASE CAN YOU EXPLAIN THIS AS I HAVE TO SEE THE SOLICITOR AT NINE
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thanks for your question.

If the gift was drafted to your son initially but if he did not survive your mother then to his grandchildren "and if more then one in equal shares absolutely" then this means that the £2000.00 should have been divided in four between each child.

They should have received £500.00 each.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be grateful received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom