Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

What so the maximum probationary period allowed by law

What so the maximum probationary period allowed by law?

I am afraid that there is no law that states how long a probationary period should be. A probationary period is just a contractual provision. It doesn't matter whether you are on probation or not - your statutory employment rights still exist from day one.

For your employer to be able to extend your probation period there must be a contractual term allowing them to do so. If they don't then they will be in breach of contract.

As you started in August 09, whether you had a permanent contract or not, your employment rights are limited and you are not fully protected. You only get enhanced rights after you have worked there for a year. Until then you can be dismissed for no reason (as long as it is not discriminatory). Therefore I would be cautious as to how you approach this until you get a year's service as your employer can dismiss you for almost whatever reason they want. If you can hold off until August then you will be much better protected for making a stand.

I hope this helps. Please press the ACCEPT button. You will be able to ask any follow-up questions. Thank you.