Rob, Solicitor
Experience:  Policitical Economy BA(hons) Law BA (hons)

I have been employed by British Waterways as a bridge operative

I have been employed by British Waterways as a bridge operative for three summer seasons. Contracts run from March to November and I have been offered the position automatically each year. This year I have been refused a contract. Is it right that under recent law changes I have the same rights as a full time employee and that the position should be offered to me as I am deemed to be continuously employed? I have not been sacked or disciplined. The job description is the same year on year.

There is a possibility that your continuity of service has not been severed and therefore you may have a claim for unfair dismissal as you would have over a years service. You have nothing to loose in bringing a claim to the tribunal. You can do this no line at and it is free. The tribunal will probably hold a preliminary hearing to determine if you have the required years service to commence a claim.