Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

how do I change name on property title deed and how much would

how do I change name on property title deed and how much would this cost
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.

what is the reason for the change?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1. Change from maiden name to married name

2. add husbands name

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.

1. To change your name you would have to send a letter to your local Land Registry office and inform them of the fact you are now married and wish to change the name on the title. You will also need to enclose your original marriage certificate.

2. To add your husband's name to the property title you need to transfer the share of the property from your own name to both of your names. This is called a 'transfer of equity' and can be a gift with no money changing hands. However, if the spouse is paying below market value for the share in the property then this can be regarded as a 'transfer at undervalue' or a gift. You are advised to seek the advice of a residential property lawyer as you will also need to decide how you will each hold your share. Most High Street solicitors would be able to do assist you.

I hope this helps. Kindly press the Accept button if you found my advice useful. You will still be able to ask follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the answer to queston 1- i'm clear

However, I may not of give enough detail for the other question.

My husband and I purchased the house 18 months ago. At the time the mortgage company would only put the house in my name. We rushed and went along. Time's passed thought we'd sort it out. Mortgage company happy to put husbands name on now but asking for conveyancing to be done by solicitors. Solicitors say they believe mortgage company normally do this at nominal charge - their charges are significantly more.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.
Have you obtained quotes from solicitors and the mortgage company?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, the solicitors have said approx. £400.00

The mortgage company haven't said anything yet.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.

This is a pretty straightforward task so if you shop around you may find it cheaper. High street solicitors could easily do it for around £250. It may be worth waiting to hear back from the mortgage company but if you have their consent then you don't need them to do it.