F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years in General Practice

section 55 (2)(e) of the town and country planning act 1990

Customer Question

section 55 (2)(e) of the town and country planning act 1990 allows use of any land for the purposes of agriculture and the use for any of those purposes of any building occupied together with land so used. 1)I understand this to mean that clearly a new barn for housing livestock and their feed can be erected (ie with concrete foundations etc) rather than just placed on the land, is that true? 2) but i also understand that a new dwelling can be erected (without planning permission) for a farmworker if he needs to live on site for the caring of his animals or crops, is that true?. 3)The above phrase "any building occupied" i understand means any pre-existing or new building and not just any pre-existing building, is that true? NB part 6 of Town and Country Planning (general permitted develoment) order 1995 refers to permitted development but s55.2.e TCPA refers to agricultural development that requires no permission at all (incle environm assessment).
Category: UK Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 6 years ago.

This is an extremely technical and complex area for which you would need specialist advice from a planning consultant. Your yellow pages may direct you to one in your local area.

I hope that this answers your question, if so, I would ask you please to click 'Accept' so that I can be paid. If you require clarification please don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the planners dont like rocking the boat so will always say opposite of whats true unless challeged by courts. used this section of the law before to stave off an enforcement planning notice.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 6 years ago.

As stated previously you will need the advice of a planning consultant. I can only suggest that you perhaps try to find one that you would be happy to consult.

Best wishes