How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7147
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is renting a property in Birmingham through Belvoir

Customer Question

My son is renting a property in Birmingham through Belvoir Lettings. He is sharing the house with another person. He has to move to London with his job. He spoke to Belvoir this morning and asked for their advice. They were very unhelpful and said that he had signed a legal document for 12 months and he was obligated by law. I called them and spoke to the owner. He was extremely abrupt not allowing me to explain the situation. I told him that I was phoning to see if we could resolve the issue and ask him for his advise. I asked him if he could help me or was he going to take the attitude of 'tough shit' it is not his problem.    He told me that as i had sworn at him that he viewed that as verbal abuse and he was ending the call. I called back immediately and was told that they would not speak to me and anything I had to say would now have to be put in writing. My son has to move to London and cannot afford the rent on 2 properties. Any suggestions as to where I go from here?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Although unhelpful, the agent was correct in that unless he signed the tenancy agreement under duress or the property is unfit for human habitation then he will be bound by the full term of the tenancy agreement.


The landlord is under a duty not to unreasonably refuse a replacement tenant. Your focus now should be on finding that replacement tenant. Speak to the agent again, apologise for the previous phone call (you do not have to mean it after all) and ask if he will help to find a replacement tenant or would object to you bringing one to him.


If the does not then you can use to attempt to find one, landlords frequently use it so that they do not have to use agents. You could take a replacement directly to the landlord or agent.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7147
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help. The contract was signed with the letting agent and not directly with the landlord. If the agency are not willing to play ball can we request the landlords contact details? I am wondering if they would be more understanding.

Can my son give notice and request that they find another tenant? The other problem we have is that the person he shares with (who is a best friend and does not have an issue with someone else renting the room) cannot afford to pay the bills on his own if my son is not there.

You say that 'The landlord is under a duty not to unreasonably refuse a replacement tenant' so if my son finds a replacement can they refuse to accept this?

Thank you
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

You can try and get in touch with the landlord. The Lettings agent will probably not be too keen to his contact details but you can download a copy of the registered title to the flat/property by using the Land Registry's online service:-


You will have to pay a £4.00 fee, use the "detailed search" option, if there are a few result listed and you can call the Land Registry and ask them to confirm which title number relates to the flat and pay for them to send you a copy of the register. It will list the owner in the Proprietorship Register and will have an address at which he can be reached.


You son can only give the notice permitted in his tenancy agreement. Check it to see if he has a break clause in it. Otherwise he will be bound by the term and the relevant notice period listed.


They can only reasonably refuse a replacement. If you can bring them a person with references who is able to prove he can meet the rent obligations under the tenancy then they would not be able to refuse that person as a replacement.


As to bills, your son is likely liable to pay half. He should attempt to pay his share until he finds a replacement or else attempt to come to an agreement with his co-tenant.


Thank you for your kind accept and good luck.



Edited by Thomas on 3/2/2010 at 9:36 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

You're welcome.



JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: