Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

hi i have a 1 year shorthold tenancy and it ends on the end

Customer Question

hi i have a 1 year shorthold tenancy and it ends on the end of sept this year, i signed the agreement with the previous agent who has now been sacked is my agreement still in force.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thanks for your question.

The tenancy will still be valid and enforceable, the agent is merely acts on behalf of the Landlord and the landlord/tenant relationship continues despite the landlord's apparent termination of the agent's contract. Your rights and obligations, and those of the landlord, are not extinguished by this relationship ceasing.

You should speak directly to the Landlord about any changes in the practical issues (ie. payment of rent and communication of repair issues).

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions,

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have given 1 weeks notice and offered a token payment for rent that i owe and will make regular payments afterwards, i cannot afford to pay in full, on leaving the premises before the tenancy agreement has expired. the new agent is not happy with this arrangement and is trying to get me to pay in full before i leave the premises.which i have told him i will pay in regular amounts untill it is paid in full
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

As I mentioned you are bound by the term of the tenancy agreement. If you leave in breach of your obligations then the landlord will seek to claim the money in respect of rent arrears from you. Unless there is a right for you to terminate giving one weeks notice in the tenancy agreement then I'm afraid you will be in breach by terminating upon giving this notice.

If you can negotiate your release from the tenancy and an arrangement in respect of the repayment of the rent arrears then I would consider this good fortune indeed.

Kind regards,

Tom