How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7149
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tennant has moved a friend into the property the property has

Resolved Question:

Tennant has moved a friend into the property the property has been badley damaged in which they have broken into a locked room and taken down the ceiling and all the plaster off teh walls this has now caused the roof to leak into the property, curtains have been ripped, other curtains have been burnt, vynal in kkitchen ripped beyond repair, kick holes in the living room wall, whole living room painted with with gloss, window in living room broken, damage to paitwork in the hall and landing, rent is now overdue by two weeks. We have asked them to leave they have verbally agreed but we are worried that they wont and we don not know how best to handle this. The tennant only moved in Oct 2009. Never rented before....HELP
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.

If the condition of the dwelling house (or common parts) has deteriorated owing to acts of waste by, or neglect of, the tenant or any person residing at the dwelling house and the tenant has not taken reasonable steps to remove that other person then you can serve a S21 Ground 13 Notice under the Housing Act 1988 on the Tenant seeking possession of the property and giving two weeks notice to vacate.


It is very important that the notice is in the Court form, if it is not then you may have to start the process again at a later date. Notice forms are available for download here:-


If the notice period expires and the tenants have still not left then you will have to make an application to Court for an Order for possesion.

If rent arrears are outstanding after they have vacated then you should write a formal letter before action to them specifying the tenancy agreement, the termination, the rent outstanding and to which period the arrears relate, send it by recorded delivery and keep copies of all correspondence (including the notice itself above), start a file – it will help you late if you have to make a claim at Court for the arrears.

You can recover the money owed in arrears of rent yourself by using HMCS's online service It’s very straight forward, cheap and very easy to use.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Edited by Thomas on 3/1/2010 at 2:24 PM EST
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7149
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: