How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7033
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can I break my lease Im in an AST, moved into the property

Customer Question

can I break my lease? I'm in an AST, moved into the property in October and have had to call the landlord 4 times to bring things up to standard. I'm wondering if the landlord has obtained an EPC for the home as we have spent £560 on heating since we moved in and 2 weeks of this we were on holiday. We now have a condensation problem in the bathrooom, a leaking radiator, lights in dining room that don't work feel as if this is just going to go on and on please help!!!
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thank you for your question.


Unless the disrepair of the property is such that the property could be said to be uninhabitable then you will only be able to termainate in accordance with the terms of the AST. If you suspect it is uninhabitable then I would suggest contactin the environmental health department of your local authority. They can issue an enforcement notice and you will be able to treat that as sufficient evidence that the landlord has repudiated the AST and you can therefore terminate.


As to disrepair, issue a formal notice of disrepair on the landlord asking him to complete the specific repair works within a reasonable time (14 days), failing which you will complete them yourself and seek to claim the expense from him and are willing to issue a claim if necessary. You can issue a claim yourself through


If you're that desperate to get out you could of course withhold rent until the landlord serves a notice for possesion on you, though your deposit could be at risk and he will almost certainly sue you for the outstanding rent (and his costs).


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thomas, thanks for the reply. What about if the property has no EPC? I believe that this is now a statutory requirement? Is there anywhere that you can check if your property has one? The reason I ask is the landlord is planning to knock our house down to build a new development, I'm sure this property does not have one, can I not break the lease because of this omission?
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



EPC's are required by regulations when a landlord rents out his property and he runs the risk of being fined for not having one, but it is not a repudiatory breach of contract that would entitle you to treat the contract as discharged. You can use it as leverage and throw your weight around a bit but he likely knows you cannot terminate because of it.


I'd prefer to have better news for you, but if this has clarified please kindly click accept.






Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7033
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks thomas
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

You're welcome, thank you for the kind accept.


Good luck.



JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: