Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i own a property with ex partner. All documents show that I

i own a property with ex partner. All documents show that I am 50% owner. Partner refuses to sell. If I have to force sale, how long could it take, and approx how much would it cost.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

I assume you hold your interests as tenants in common, if you do not then you should sever the joint tenancy (I can give you further information if so required).

I hope you can appreciate that the length of time and cost depends on how long you choose to negotiate throught your solicitor but it will costs approximately £1,000.00 - 3,000.00 (depending on the extent to which it is disputed and whether negotiations are protracted), but you should certainly shop around when it comes to obtaining quotes from solicitors. It will also take at least at least three months.

The best outcome in these situations is always to get the unwilling party to agree to sell. These orders to sell are seldom not granted and agreement is much less expensive and stressful than making an application at Court. Hopefully your co-owner will see the logic in this way forward once your solicitor has written to them.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom