Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

how can I find out definitely that the footpath outside my

how can I find out definitely that the footpath outside my shop is under the ownership & responsibility of the council. There is no mention in my deeds that I own any strip or width of footpath outside my shop. The council have said that it is my private forecourt as it is slabbed for a width of 2.7m right outside my shop and then there is a strip of 0.75m adjacent to the road carriageway (which they say they own). The slabs have been there undisturbed for at least 20 years.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

As to ownership of the property you can submit an index map search at the Land Registry attaching a plan to the form:-

They will reply letting you know the title number (if any) to the land. You can then download (or request by telephone) the official copies from the Land Registry. This will show who actually owns the land.

You should also check your records for when you purchase the property as there may be covenant for you to contribute to the repair of the strip of, possibly in common with other owners of other properties using the land. This information should have been provided to you by your conveyancer when you purchased the property. It will also be detailed in the official copies to your property (though you may have to also request a copy of a older conveyance listed on the official copies).

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,