Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I was made redundant six months ago. At the time of my departure

I was made redundant six months ago. At the time of my departure I was owed three and a half months salary and have yet to receive either my salary or redundancy monies. What is the best course of action to take?

Hello C Homer,

Thank you for your question.

Have you already written to them to about this? Have they acknowledged the amount you are owed?

If not you should write to them immediately asking for payment within a reasonable time (eg.7 or 10 ten working days) failing which you will seek independent legal advice. If they do not reply then you should seek out an employment litigation solicitor who will write a "letter before action" to them, which if unreplied may leave with only the option of making a claim against them through an employment tribunal (though you will be able to claim the costs of this from them).

Are you aware of your employer being in financial difficulty? Such financial trouble that they could be wound up?

If the company is insolvent you can claim your redundancy payment from the National Insurance Fund.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have recieved written conformation for the amount outstanding and I believe the company is in financial difficulties.

As there are 7 other employees, past and present, that are all owed money, is there anyway to combine our payment requests into a single application?

If the company is in financial difficulty and there are 7 employees who are all owed money then you should certainly go and see a solicitor specialising in the employment litigation as a matter of urgency..

Don't be afraid to shop around for the best deal, ask for quotes. You can use the law society's website to find employment lawyers in your area:-

Good luck.