Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I have worked for a company for 5 years and they have not given

I have worked for a company for 5 years and they have not given me a contract of employment. If I ask for one can they refuse? What kind of details could I expect in a contract after working for the company for this length of time? many thanks.
P.s. I submitted this question about 20 mins ago but computer crashed so don't think it went through.

Hello Littlen 1984,

Thank you for your question.

There is no requirement for a contract to be writing. It can be in writing, orally or a mixture of both.

Your employer is though obligated under s1 or the Employment Rights Act 1996 to provide you with a written statement of the terms and conditions of your employment within two months of your employment commencing. If they have not done this then request one, orally at first but if the statement is not forthcoming then put it formally in writing.

Click this link and you can see the particulars of your employment terms and conditions that they are required to give you at s1(3) and s1(4):-

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,