Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi, i would like to start a grievence procedure against a work

Hi, i would like to start a grievence procedure against a work colleage and possibly my manager/owner of the company whom i work for. I have asked on numerous occasions for an appointment with her, and she keeps avoiding me, or makes excuses not to see me. i am getting frustrated as i think this matter could be resolved by talking things through. What is the next step if she won't see me as there isn't anyone above her?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Dear Cornsnake,

Thank you for your question.

Put your request for a formal grievance meeting in writing explaining clearly but succinctly your reasons for your grievance, send it to the manager and copy your HR contact in to it (if there is one).

Employers are bound to follow a statutory grievance procedure which sets down a set a structure (notice of grievance received writing from employee > Meeting > Decision > Appeal. If they do not follow this structure, or follow it unfairly or are unfair in the meeting with you then this may prejudice any defence they would avail themselves of in the event you issue a claim against them.

The meeting must be held within a reasonable time and place and allow both parties to explain their cases clearly. You are allowed to be accompanied to the meeting. If you consider that they are taking to too long to arrange a meeting, express his again in a letter after original grievance request.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow questions.

Kind regards,

Edited by Thomas on 1/25/2010 at 9:24 PM EST