Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i have been named as an executor in a will without my consent.

i have been named as an executor in a will without my consent. is this possible
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

A testator can name any person to be the executor of their estate, they do not require your consent although it would seem prudent for a testator to speak to the prospective executor to check that he is willing to fulfill their responsibilities in the event of the testator's death.

If the testator is still alive and you do not want to be his executor then you should consider telling the executor this. They may very well then decide to change their Will.

If the testator has passed away and you do not wish to act as an executor then you can complete an Deed of Renunciation to remove you as executor.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,