legal eagle 73
legal eagle 73, Solicitor
Experience:  10 year qualifified solicitor

I need to sign a power of attorney. It is in relation to a

I need to sign a power of attorney. It is in relation to a company sale/disposal of shares giving a director the power to sign documents on my behalf. I need to have my signature witnessed and return it urgently.

Can my father (who has a different surname and address from me) witness my signature or must it be a non-relative?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  legal eagle 73 replied 6 years ago.

hi there

it is always good practice to have an independent person (ie one who is not related to you) witnessing a Deed. Otherwise, if the validity of the Deed is challenged in Court, then the document will have a weakness if it was witnessed by a relative

To answer your Q, if it is unlikely that the Power of Attorney will be challenged in the future, then it is acceptable for your father to witness your signature

please click on the green accept button so that i can be credited for the advice i have given you