Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My solicitor informed me that they had grant of probate and

My solicitor informed me that they had grant of probate and that monies had been sent to them and would be distributed seven working days after bank clearing that was on the 4th of January 2010.
I have been intouch with them and been told that it is in their probate office and I would receive the summary in due course.ARE they holding back from paying out to the beneficary's to earn extra interest on the estate or is this normal practice?

Most likely there has simply been a delaying in their arranging the distribution. There could be many reasons (illness, overburdened with work, the snow etc). Do not worry about the accrual of interest - the solicitors must account to the client for the interest earned on client monies (ie. the estate will receive the interest if it has been placed on a deposit account)

If you are in doubt, check the interest in the estate accounts. If it just shows a figure for interest, simply ask them to provide you with a statement of calculated interest.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be grateful received and you will be free to ask followup questions.

Kind regards,