Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

If l buy a will from a shop and write it myself is it legal

If l buy a will from a shop and write it myself is it legal and binding if l die?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for your question.

Yes, it will be legally binding and enforceable provided you the formalities required to make a valid will are present and you have executed it correctly. The pack you buy from a shop will contain information on the legal requirements and you should ensure you follow these correctly if you do decide to make a Will in this way.

In short, you must have capacity. This means you must have soundness of mind memory and understanding and be over 18 years of age. Capacity is generally presumed but not where you are blind or illiterate or where the Will was made in suspicious circumstances.

You must sign the Will intending to validate it and your signature should be witness in the presence of two witnesses (who will also sign the Will). The witnesses should not be persons who are to benefit under the Will.

Personally, I would always advise a testator to get a solicitor to draft the Will and arrange its execution. A very straightforward Will can be drafted by a solicitor cheaply (ie. £150-200 +VAT)). This provides more security as they will ensure the formalities above are in place and they will also provide you with clarification on any points you do not understand. It certainly seems a relatively cheap price to pay for something that will deal with your entire estate when you pass on.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom