Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My daughter and her partner bought a house together using a

My daughter and her partner bought a house together using a 100% joint mortgage in 2007. A year ago they ended their relationship but stayed in the house together, paying the mortgage, to avoid incurring a significant loss at resale. My daughter now wishes to move on and re-start her life but her partner is refusing to agree to sell the house. He is also unable to take on a mortgage alone to cover the price of the house because his salary is insufficient. What steps can we take to progress this issue?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

In the first instance your daughter should check to make sure that she and her ex-partner hold their respective interests as tenants-in-common. Were they to hold their interests as joint tenants and your daughter passed away then her interest in the property would automatically pass to her ex-partner irrespective of any Will she has (or the intestacy rules).

If held as joint tenants you should sever the joint tenancy by Form SEV immediately (downloadable from the Land Registry website). If you have any questions you should call the LR; they are very helpful.

If he cannot get a mortgage to finance a transfer of equity and remortgage then you are left in a stalemate.

They should try as hard as possible to come to an agreement to sell the property and the proportion of any proceeds of sale realised, this will avoid unnecessary expense and you should impress this logic upon your daughter's ex-partner in the hope that he will be come around.

If they cannot agree then your daughter will have to apply to Court for a order for sale. The split will be a notional 50/50 but parties can make representations to depart from this given their particular circumstances. It will likely take 2-3 months and you should speak to a local solicitor about acting on your daughter's behalf. These application are seldom refused.

A difficult but unfortunately common situation, I sympathise.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask followup questions.

Kind regards,