Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

am i entilted to a copy of my moms will she named me as a benefeciary

Customer Question

am i entilted to a copy of my moms will she named me as a benefeciary after her death ive tried to get a copy through probate but uk documents are unable to trace a copy of the will i know there is a copy at my mothers solicitors but they never seem to return my calls
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

In the first instance you should write to he solicitors outlining your understanding that you are a beneficiary, ask them to respond within 14 days of the date of the letter. If you also know who is named as the executor you could speak to them to see where they are in the process of administering your mother's estate.

I assume from your post that you have attempted to get a copy of the grant of probate (if there is one yet) by following the procedure on the following webpage:

A copy of the Will will attached to the grant of probate.

If probate has not been granted and you are considering making a claim on the estate then you should conduct a "standing search", this will notify and send you a copy of the grant of probate if one is taken out within 6 months of the date of the search:-

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewardes for my efforts. It wil be gratefully received and you will be free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you i will write to the solicitors , i have requested a standing search on the will with uk documents . Do the solicitors have to give me a copy of the will once i have wrote to them .
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the accept. If you are a beneficiary they will let you see a copy of the Will.

Good luck, I have to go offline now. I will be back later.