Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

1. what is the law on luch breaks 2. how much lunch time

1. what is the law on luch breaks?
2. how much lunch time are employees entitled to?
3. do employees get pain for their lunch time?
4. how often/after how many hours are employees entitled to a break?
5. what are the maxinum hours a day and week an employee can be made to work?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

The Working Time Regulations 1998 require employers to give a "rest break" (effectively lunch) of an uninterrupted period of not less than 20 minutes to any employee working more than 6 hours. It does not have to be paid, but it can be (check your contract).

You also should check to your contract to see if the details are specified in there, or otherwise in a collective or workforce agreement made by your all your fellow employees, these could contain information of the terms of when you are to receive the break and the duration (it may be longer than the statutorily required 20 mins)

Not a very generous break in my opinion, but law nevertheless.

The Regulations also set 48 hours as the maximum number of hours an individual can work, but the individual can opt out of this if he chooses.

As to rest periods within the week, you should use the following website and check under daily and weekly rest periods:

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor