legal eagle 73
legal eagle 73, Solicitor
Experience:  10 year qualifified solicitor
16495303

Mother died 18/4/09 having made a Will. Had not worked since

Mother died 18/4/09 having made a Will. Had not worked since 18 years of age. Final 2 years in a Care home, had no property to sell. Estimated value of Estate @ date of death £100.000. Is it unreasonable for solicitor to advise that closure could take 12 months. (she is saying she has had no response re tax issues but isn't the onus on her to follow up?) She sends letters to "chase" only after I have prompted her. Family feud, I am not the Executor but am the eldest daughter asking on behalf of another sister and myself.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX advice.
Patricia Keeling

hi there

the solicitor is only obliged to take instructions from the executor. Therefore, if the executor is happy for her to continue to act, then there is nothing you can do

however, when the estate has been finalised and the solicitor has raised her bill, you can challenge her bill by asking for a remuneration certificate in the hope that her bill will be reduced for her "inaction"

please click on the green accept button so that i can be credited for the advice i have given you

thx