legal eagle 73
legal eagle 73, Solicitor
Experience:  10 year qualifified solicitor
16495303

My mother in law has had a stroke and she has been in hospital

My mother in law has had a stroke and she has been in hospital since October - my sister in law has had her admitted to a home and has told her that she is there for convalesence
My mother in law lives in a rented house and has been there for 50 years and was determined that they would have to carry her out in a box. She is mentally sane and is very distressed that she can not go back home. I have now been informed that my sister in law has paid a month's rent in advance on the house and they are going to get rid of all her furniture without her knowing - Can they just take over this lady's life. Can they sign the house back to the owner without her knowing?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  legal eagle 73 replied 7 years ago.

hi there

is your mother in law mentally capable and has she made a power of attorney appointing your sister in law as her attorney?

thx

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes and no has not appointed sister in law as her and power to attorney

Regards

Thanks

hi there

the sister in law cannot override your mother in law's wishes. Somebody should contact the landlord and inform them that your mother in law intends to return to the house, health permitting.

the sister in law is acting illegally in removing items from the house if your mother in law has not instructed her to do this. She can contact the police

Also your mother in law should make a power of attorney appointing somebody she trusts to deal with her financial affairs and/or decisions relating to her health and welfare (if she couldn;t make those decisions herself). it takes about 3 months or more to set up these powers of attorney

please click on the green accept button so that i can be credited for the advice i have given you

thx