Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am a landlord and rent out my flat to friends. I am going

I am a landlord and rent out my flat to friends. I am going to be out of the country for several months, during which time one set of friends will move out and another will move in. I wanted to ask if it is possible for someone to sign the shorthold tenancy agreement on my behalf in my absence, and if so, what procedure I would need to go through to arrange this.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for your question.

If you wish for another person to act on your behalf while you are away you will have to give that person authority to do so by creating an ordinary power of attorney. It can be limited to a specific purpose and for a specific time.

A local solicitor will be able to arrange this for you relatively cheaply. Make sure you have all the relevant details - you should be very careful not to grant the attorney wider powers than you intended.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow-up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom