Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello, I brought a new 3 piece suite from a company six months

Hello, I brought a new 3 piece suite from a company six months ago. All the upholstery is now fraying and appears to have small snags & pulls all over the cushions both on the seating & back cushions. I took out insurance on the suite at a cost of three hundred pounds. Having contacted the company where i brought the suite from, they sent out an inspector who said it was general wear & tear. As a adult living on my own i find this hard to believe. They informed me to contact the insurance company & lie and say that i pulled the suite with my jean buttons. Do i have any come back against the company from where i brought the suite or do i commit insurance fraud, which i am loathe to do?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Certainly no-one on this forum is going to advise you to lie and commit insurance fraud, quite the opposite.

Check you insurance policy and check that you have not breached the terms first of all.

If you are unsuccessful in claiming under the policy then you may be able to issue a claim against the company who sold you the suite to you under s 14(2) Sale of Good Acts 1979 (that they should be of satisfactory quality) or s14(3) that they should be fit for purpose. Also check the terms of the contract you signed with the Company, to see if the company has otherwise breach the contract.

It may be that the representative is trying to pass the problem on to the insurance company.

If you have found this useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts.It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask followup questions.

Kind regards.