Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience

What is the law(bye-law) regarding playing football in the

Customer Question

What is the law(bye-law) regarding playing football in the street. My next door neighbour's son insists on playing right outside my house and is constantly kicking the football against my garden wall (he has no wall). It is driving me absolutely mad.

Kind regards

Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 6 years ago.

Under sections 79-81 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 local authorities have a duty to deal with any noise which they consider to be a statutory nuisance.

statutory nuisance is defined (In relation to noise)…..

(g) noise emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance;

Noisy children in themselves are not a 'nuisance', the nuisance is their use of the football against your wall that creates the noise (Much like an electric drill or a hi-fi). It will be hard to control the volume of the children themselves, but their football is arguably the same as if they were using a loud Hi-fi, and can be controlled.

Contact the EHO at the Council and ask them to investigate, make sure you mention that the noise is affecting your health, and the noise is not just them shouting, but the continual clatter of the football.

Might also be worthwhile speaking to a local Councillor to see if they can offer any leverage, especially in an election year.

I hope that this helps

Please remember to press ACCEPT so that I can get my credit
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Peter

Sorry to have bothered you. Almost immediately after I had sent my question off I actually found something myself on the internet regarding s.151 of the Highways Act 1980. I tried to cancel my question but obviously did not succeed. Sorry for any inconvenience.