Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Got a Parking Charge Notice at Morrisons carpark in Camden,

Customer Question

Got a Parking Charge Notice at Morrisons carpark in Camden, London, is what your site says to ignore this, still the case? Thanks, Mary
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Have you admitted being the driver yet?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I have done nothing, and I might not even have been the driver as I usually go there with the other allocated driver.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

OK. Who is the issuer of the fine?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Parking Eye
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Good. This is a private land fine. They are unenforceable. This is not a parking fine however it may look. These companies are private firms that have no more right to punish you for the manner of your parking than your neighbour does. Only the police or the local council can do that. These are issued on the basis that you have accepted a contract by parking there and breached it by staying too long. To make that work they would have to hang signs over almost every bay and anyway, they still cannot show loss. The way to stop them dead is to write back refusing to give them the name of the driver. They have no power to make you as they are not the police. They only have a 'contract' with the driver and not the registered keeper. That will not stop them writing to you but it will put a stop to any real action being taken. They won't know who to sue.

I must stress though that you should not lie and say that you were not the driver. Some people have been doing that. Its not ethical to do that and if this gets to court that would amount to an offence. There's no need to anyway. You can just refuse the details.

Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Jomo1972 I will act on that, Kind regards, Mary
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

No problem.

Good luck with it. Where did you read this elsewhere just out of interest?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jomo, ParkingEye have now sent me another letter, this time it has photo of car coming into the car park and leaving. I wrote to them saying this after your first bit of advice.....

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to you “Recorded Delivery” in regard to the piece of paper you sent me

CCS Reference 484129

I refuse to give you the name of the driver and through Contract Law I trust this matter is now closed.

Yours sincerely,

Mary Rooney

What should I do now? Kind regards, Mary
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Oh just ignore them. They do keep writing and some of them even send documents that purport to be notices to owners.

These letters have no legal status. Until you actually get a court summons, they ignore them. The chances of you getting a court summons are about as high as winning the lottery.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again, will do. Mary
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Have you read about this private land stuff elsewhere on the internet?