Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi I Have been working for a company for 9 months, permanent

Customer Question

Hi

I Have been working for a company for 9 months, permanent with a contract. I unfortunately had a personal relationship with a work collegue which has not ended. He had been endevouring the interest of work collegues by talking about me which has resulted in a bad atmosphere at work. However, as is due me money, i am holding onto some of his possessions (we lived together) for a short period. IT now had come to the attn of our manager who has said, we need to sort it by Monday annd if their is an atmosphere on Mon, my boss will remove one of us from the company. Can he do this?
Please can you help me as I am very upset as it appears my manager who has worked at the company for 30 years appears to be taking this mans side? Thank you
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hello Moonbeach,

What is the length of the notice period your employed is required to give you in the event that he dismisses you?

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i really have no idea. I would assume it would be instant if he is to dismiss me. As i have only been with the co for 9 months, perhaps 1 week or the most 1 month?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Customer,

It will say in your contract, have a look and check it for the the notice period. The reason I ask is because there is legislation in place to protect employees from being unfairly dismissed, but to use it you must have been employed for a year. This would include the notice period in the event that you were dismissed.

If your the length of your employment at the company (including notice period) is one year or longer then he will only be able to dismiss for one of the permitted reasons. Check you notice period and get back to me

If you have been employed for less than a year at the time of dismissal then you are in a difficult position. An employer can dismiss an employee (who has been employed for less than a year) whether he has a good reason or not. Provided he gives full notice and otherwise complies with the contract, the employee has no remedy against this employer unless you can prove that the employer breached a term of your contract of employment. You should check your contract to see if you think he has breached any of th terms. If he has then you may be able to sue him for breach of contract, but this is a little more complicated than pursuing a claim under employment legislation at an employment tribunal.

In short employees are in a very difficult position until they have been employed for a year. Once they have, employees received significant protection under employment legislation.

Let's hope that things improve and you make it past one years employment

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I posted my original post as a answer in error - it should have been an info request. My second post is the answer, do please let me know if you require any further information or follow-up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom