Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I rent out a room to a 17year old and she has defaulted on

I rent out a room to a 17year old and she has defaulted on her payments. She signed a contract drawn up by myself but I now wondering if she can be held responsible as she is under 18
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, as contract between a minor (ie. under 18) and an adult is not binding upon the minor unless she ratifies (ie. affirms it) the contract after attaining 18 years of age. In effect, the contract is not binding on her and you are better off attempting to remove her under the terms of the agreement and see if she just accepts it and moves out. You will at least be able to rent it to another adult person then.

I hope this is useful, if so please kindly click accept so that I can be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask followup questions.

Kind regards,