Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My fiances Mother has just bought my fiance a Wedding dress

My fiance's Mother has just bought my fiance a Wedding dress and paid in full up front, We are not getting married until August but already my fiance has decided she prefers another dress in another shop. It has been three weeks since the first dress was bought and it has not been taken from the shop, Are we entitled to get the money back from the shop?

Thanks, Consumer
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Did your fiance's mother buy it from a shop or was she distance-sold it by telephone/mail order/internet etc?

If she bought it from the shop you will be bound by their refund policy unless you can show that it wasn't incorporated in to the contract (ie. not brought to your fiance's mother's attention) or that the refund term itself is unfair under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 2000. Most high-street retailers print this on their receipts, or otherwise mark them very clearly but check in your case anyway.

The OFT's website is pretty user friendly and you should check what term relating to refunds:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/legal/unfair-terms/

3 weeks sounds like you should action the above very quickly though and certainly attempt to return the dress as a matter of urgency.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my effort. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow-up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom