Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I have an interview for a job in a supermarket and was wndering

I have an interview for a job in a supermarket and was wndering if I need to disclose a conviction for violent disorder that I received in 2007?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Your prospective employer (the supermarket) may have a question on whether you have any criminal history on forms they ask you to complete before you start your employment.

The law on the rights of employers to inquire as to the criminal histories of their employers is somewhat unclear but you would generally be under a a duty to respond honestly to if an employer asks the specific question and your criminal history is relevant to your employment. Disorder would likely be considered relevant working in a public place like a supermarket.

In the final analysis it is probably better to be honest with your prospective employer when asked the question. You are probably not under a duty to volunteer the information if you are not asked though.

If you find this information useful please kindly click accept so that I can be rewarded for my efforts.. You will be free to ask followup questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How long is it before the conviction would be considered spent? I received a 9 month suspended sentance which is now over. The offence occured in 2006 but the court case wasn't until 2007

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Customer,

If you were over 18 at the time of your conviction for the offence then the it would be spent after ten years.

If you were under 18 at the time of the your conviction for the offence the it would be spent after five years.

Good luck with the interview.

If you find this information please kindly click so I can be rewarded for my efforts. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards

Tom