Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

how do I find out if there is a restraining order against me

Customer Question

how do I find out if there is a restraining order against me? Are there any databases can I search to find a restraining order in the UK.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  philip.simmons replied 7 years ago.
Contact the county court...ask the clerk of the court...they can tell you if an order has been filed....but it will not be effective until it has been actually served on you.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there a particular county court I should contact which will hold details of all UK restraining orders or do I have to contact all UK county courts and check each court details individually?

thanks
UK....let me send you to a UK lawyer..hang on please
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok waiting for the UK lawyer, thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 7 years ago.
hi
what makes you think that there is an order in place
claire
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Claire,

I think so because the mother of my ex bf, has been saying she would, she is a sly one and she has dirt on me.

Thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 years ago.
hi
there can be no enforceable order unless it has actually been served on you - so if you have not had any paperwork then there is no order in existence
claire
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX still like the answer to my original question if possible, I am sure there is some time period between taking out a restraining order and one being served, what if I cannot be found? Then I cannot be served, but the order still exists even if not enforced.

Expert:  Clare replied 7 years ago.
hi
no there are no databases which you can search
any initial order which is made has to be served within a short period of time and in general if it has not been then the order will lapse
claire

Edited by claire on 1/13/2010 at 9:29 PM EST
Clare, Solicitor
Experience: family solictor with 25 years experience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK then, where will this lapsed restraining order be? There has to be a record of the restraining order somewhere? Some archive?

philip.simmons from this website, said it should be in a county court, do I have to check by phoning each county court in UK?
Expert:  Clare replied 7 years ago.
hi
he was referring to american courts
unless you or the other person have very distinctive names it is unlikely that the court will be able to trace and applications which have been made
and in any event it has no relevance at all unless you have seen the paperwork
claire