Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I was employed during 2005 as paralegal and 2 years later offered

I was employed during 2005 as paralegal and 2 years later offered a training contract. The terms of my employment did not change, only my title and some of my functions. The firm will not keep me after my training ends and I need to know if they have to make me redundant.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I note you say "the terms of your employment did not change"; Did you formally receive a training contract? This would then be registered with the Law Society (through the Solicitors Regulatory Authority and would in effect be your contract of employment (regardless of the fact that you were previously employed as a paralegal).

A training contract is a fixed term contract (ie. for two years), if this is the contract you are employed under then your contract will end by the expiry of that fixed term when you complete your training contract. They would not need to make you redundant, or indeed to formally dismiss you.

I hopes this is useful if so please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow-up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom