Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi, I currently have a full time permanent nanny working

I currently have a full time permanent nanny working for me but will no longer need her from the end of February 2010, which will be 6 months and 1 week since she started working for me.

Is a letter of termination stating reason of redundancy enough? What liability will I have, if any? (She would be on 4 weeks notice as per employment contract).

Thanks and Best Regards,
Nafisa
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

You can terminate her employment by writing a letter to her informing her that you are dismissing her by reason of redundancy. Specifically, it will be "employee redundancy" which means that the reason for her dismissal is that the requirement for her to do work of a particular type has ceased (state this in the letter).

You will not have to pay her a redundancy payment because, on the facts, it does not appear that you have employed her for the requisite period of time in order to be eligible for a payment (currently two years).

Note though that you will have to give her the notice period required under the employment contract she has with you.

I hope this helps, if so please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. You will be free to ask follow-up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your response Tom.

Would you be able to send me a template for this letter?

Also, would I have to state the reason for redundancy on this letter eg my daughter starting nursery so nanny position no longer required. When I took on the nanny, I was not going to send my duaghter to nursery but it is obvious that my daughter needs more 'learning' which she is not getting form home/nanny.Will this pose a possible problem eg can the nanny dispute the reason?

Best Regards,

Nafisa

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Nafisa,

The letter can be be addressed to her and simply reading something like

" I hereby dismiss you from you employment as [insert job role] by reason of redundancy. Regrettably, the requirement for you to care full time for my child has now ceased as she is to start nursery to further her education and learning."

Also state the notice you are giving her (ie. in accordance with the contract) and thank her for her efforts.

The fact that your daughter's circumstances have changed after you employed the nanny is unlikely to prejudice you with respect to the dismissal, circumstances change in employment frequently.

If this has helped please kindly click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor