Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

if you have had a criminal record can you go on holiday to

Customer Question

if you have had a criminal record can you go on holiday to new zealand?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 4 years ago.
Hiya,

It all rather depends on what the criminal record was for.

New Zealand will only grant a holiday visa if you are of ‘good character.'

Basically if

- You have been convicted and sentenced to prison for twelve months or longer within the last ten years.
- You have been convicted and given a prison sentence of five years or more, regardless of whether this has since expired from your record.
- You have belonged to, supported or participated with any organisation believed to be involved with criminal objectives or engaged in criminal or terrorist activities.
- You have a New Zealand removal order in force against you or have ever been deported from any country including New Zealand.
- It is though that whilst in New Zealand you are likely to assist or commit criminal offences, drug offences or acts of terrorism.
- It is thought that due to any international circumstances it is likely that you represent a danger to New Zealand’s security or public order.

Then it is unlikely that your visa application is likely to be successful.

However, if you have a criminal record of a different nature e.g. disqualification from driving, or more common offences, then New Zealand will require more information to decide whether or not you meet the character requirements.

Contact them onXXX@XXXXXX.XXX or by telephone on 01925 451165 for more information.

I hope that this helps

Please press ACCEPT so that I can get my credit
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it doesn't really help as i just want to know if i will be stopped from going on holiday to new Zealand, as 15 years ago i was convicted of a drug offence but have not used drugs since, i will be travelling with my wife and two children hopefully the end of this year but do not want to travel if i am going to be stopped Kev
Hiya,

They are not really bothered about whether you have used drugs since but whether you were convicted 15 years ago and the length of the conviction - hence the answer above. So if you did not go to prison as a result of you drug conviction then you will be fine.

But if you are worried then give them a call. But if you were convicted then you should be fine

I hope that this helps

Please remember to press ACCEPT
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
give who a call? and no i wasn't sent to prison but just want to be sure i won't be turned away from newzealand when we go on holiday?
Hiya,

If you did not go to prison the you should be absolutely fine - what you can do if you want to reassure yourself is phone the New Zealand embassy over here in the UK on 01925 451165 - but the rules are quite clear.

Have a great trip

Please remember to press ACCEPT

Hiya,

Hiya, Unless I have just asked for information Please press the green ACCEPT button as I then get credit for my time, but will be happy to continue this dialogue