Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

hello , i have a rental contract that im trying to get out

hello , i have a rental contract that im trying to get out of theyre demanding 2 months notice . the contract does say 2 months which i miss read and were only 9 months into the 12 month contract is there any way of getting out of it? any clauses or ways out?

many thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

What is the rental contract for? Is it a tenancy agreement for a property?

If the contract specifies that you may terminate the contract upon giving two months notice then you will be bound by the notice period (provided you have signed the contract).

You should also check to see if it is two months from the date you serve the notice, or two calender months from the date you serve the notice (ie. if you were to serve the notice today then the notice period would start on 1st February). Serve the notice appropriately.

The only other possible way for you to get out of the contract is to check the terms to see if the contract allows you to terminate it in other circumstances. For example, it may allow you to terminate in the event that the other party has breached a term of the contract. If it does and the other party has in fact breached the contract then you may be able to terminate on the basis of that breach.

If the contract is silent on termination then you would have to rely on contract law, which would mean that the other party would have to have breached a condition (ie. a very important term of the contract). This would also entitle you to terminate the contract.

I hope this is useful, if so please kindly click accept so that I can be paid for my efforts.

Kind regards,