Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

is it legal to park over a dropped kerb driveway if the driveway

is it legal to park over a dropped kerb driveway if:
the driveway is not big enough to get a small car in,
the driveway is gated,
the driveway is not used as such.
the postal address of the house inquestion is not the same as the road where the driveway is located
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 4 years ago.
Hiya,

The Traffic Management Act 2004, states that it is now illegal to park next to a dropped kerb, for instance. Exceptions are:

When you're in a parking space
When you're parked outside residential premises with the consent of the occupier of the premises -- as long as you're not paying for parking.
When loading or unloading for 20 minutes or less.
Works such as gas and water, or road works.
It's an armed forces vehicle -- so a parking a tank across your neighbour's driveway is OK
Double parking is also now illegal -- you've got to be within 50 cm of the kerb. Exceptions are as above, although the law does allow you to stop to allow people in and out of the car.

Fixed penalties could be up to £80.

For more info:- www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2004/ukpga_20040018_en_1

I hope that this helps

Unless I have just asked for information please press the green ACCEPT button as I then get credit for my time, but will be happy to continue this dialogue
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the driveway in question has been made unusable by the owner by constructing a shed and making it impossible to get a vehicle in. surely a driveway is only a driveway if it can be used as such?
Hiya,

I would suggest in your case you might want to invite the planning department of your local council to come down and inspect and give you some specific advice as to yours and your neighbour's drive - and also whether the council plans to enforce this new law

I hope that this helps

Hiya,

Unless I have just asked for information

Please press the green ACCEPT button as I then get credit for my time, but will be happy to continue this dialogue
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience: Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience