Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

we have a white H line or access line put in front of our driveway

we have a white H line or access line put in front of our driveway by the council.our neighbour keeps parking over the end of it making it difficult to get out as it is a narrow road.We have complained to the police many times and they have spoken to him on numerous occasions but it still happens,is there anything else we can do to stop him doing this.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  ratioscripta replied 7 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Is this in the US or UK?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
uk
My apologies, I thought this was a US question. I am going to opt out of your answer and let another UK solicitor expert opt in to help you. No need to respond to this message. Additionally, you do not have to stay online – your question will remain active and an email will be sent to you as soon an expert answers it. My apologies for the inconvenience. You have not been charged. Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok
Good luck. (don't reply - it kicks it back to me)
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 years ago.

Hi

Do you have a dropped kerb driveway?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes done by the council
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 years ago.
OK. And do they make it impossible for you to get out or just difficult?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just difficult but it is done on purpose so that his back end hangs over the white line.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 years ago.

That would not amount to an offence then. if he causes an obstruction the police can intervene by issuing fines but they will do not do that. The days when they have become involved in that type of dispute have long gone I'm afraid.

The local councils may be interested if there is actually an obstruction but the meaning of obstruction has been considered by the higher courts and its been held that it must literally make it impossible to maneouvre.

Alternatively you can try to get an injunction from the civil courts to stop this. The truth is that its hard to enforce though and quite expensive.

Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.