INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)

My boss is harassing me at work, and I have several people

My boss is harassing me at work, and I have several people who are prapared to make statements to the effect. Can my boss be arrested and/or prosecuted under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997?

Thanks for your question.

If you have raised a grievance at work and your boss is still harassing you, you have a couple of options:

1. Referring the matter to an employment tribunal - being treated unfairly
2. An action against your boss under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Personal Harassment is defined as any behaviour which is unacceptable to the recipient and which creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment for employment, study or social life. Although harassment is often thought of as an overt use of power, it can also appear in more subtle guises.

If the Police are unwilling to take the matter further, you should try to obtain a injunction against the person(s) through the civil courts under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. I would suggest you instruct a local solicitor if you take this course of action.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Cheers XXXXX XXXXX that, How would an injunction work, and how much is it likely to cost? What information would the courts need to grant an injunction, and finally why would the police not take the case on if it is a breach of UK legislation? Thanks

Injunctions are court orders which might tell a person that they are not allowed to do a certain act. It would be difficult to say how it would work in this context without knowing the full details of the harassment.

With regard to cost, this varies from solicitor to solicitor. Take a look at the law society website to find a solicitor in your local area and obtain a few qotes.

A reason why the police may not wish to take on the matter all depends on the type of harassment you are suffering. If it is in the public interest, they are likely to take further action, failing which you will have to bring a civil action.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks a million, I really appreciate your swift answer to something that has been keeping me awake. This is the first time I've used this service. Very impressed! Under 10 minutes and got all the info I need to take this further. Thanks, Mike
Its a pleasure.

Good luck!