F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years in General Practice
18203470

i have a crb enhanced check how long is it valid for and does

Customer Question

i have a crb enhanced check how long is it valid for and does portability change this
Category: UK Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 years ago.

Good afternoon

Entries on an enhanced CRB check remain for life, I'm afraid, and they cannot be removed. I'm sorry.

Best wishes.

F E

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I ne ed to know if the CRB check dated 2006 still covers my having children for private tutoring. The portability point seems to say that there is no time limit on the validity of the check
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 years ago.

I'm not quite sure if you fully understand the relevance of the portability rule in CRB checks and you may find it helpful to read the detailed information available at:-

http://www.crb.gov.uk/guidance/rb_guidance/portability.aspx

Best wishes.

F E

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i have previously read the page you sent to me regarding portability and I understand it.Please advise if I need to update my crb check or is it still valid.It seems to say under this section that a check has no time limit.

regards Customer

Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 years ago.

Hello again

The same information will be revealed but I think that, perhaps, the misunderstanding has arisen because any prospective employer will make their own enquiry and not rely on the report which you have obtained.

Does that resolve the matter for you>

F E

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, i am the employer who has satisfactorily passed the CRB check 3 years ago. I need to know if i have to update it. The point about portabilty is that it seems to imply that there is no time limit on my CRB check, although time may weaken its usefulness.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 years ago.

Ah, I follow. A 3 year old CRB check would be of no use to anybody as you could, theoretically, have had several further convictions in that time.

Yours

F E

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

do i need to renew it or is it still valid?

regards Customer

Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 years ago.

Hello again

The check that you have done is for your own information. if you intend to use it as a form of 'reference', then you would need to upgrade it at least annually.

Otherwise, and far more commonly, others will uindertake their own checks.

Yours

F E