How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Rob Your Own Question

Rob, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 508
Experience:  Policitical Economy BA(hons) Law BA (hons)
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Rob is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If i have been found gulty of a vandalism been fined and paid

Customer Question

If i have been found gulty of a vandalism been fined and paid compensation can the 3rd party take me to court for additional compensation.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.



Yes if there is a difference in the amount of compensation and the amount of damage actually caused however the county court will take into account that the magistrates considered your means when considering the compensation that you should pay and that this was the maximum you could afford and therefore may be minded not to order that you pay anymore. It is very rare for a third party to use the county court to try and recover more money as they know that there is a substantial risk they wont get any.

Rob, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 508
Experience: Policitical Economy BA(hons) Law BA (hons)
Rob and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was blocked in while parking my car in a public car park. To cut a long story short I kicked the car once and the owner is claiming over £2200 worth of damage. I was taken to court and pleaded guilty and was fined £75 and also ordered to pay £75 in compensation. Now the person’s insurance company is sending me letter demanding I pay them the full amount of damage.

I only pleaded guilty to get it over with but the damaged the have claimed I did not cause. Now I have received a letter saying “This should therefore be construed as sufficient notice pursuant to section 152 of the road traffic act 1988.”

They say I have 7 days to pay. I would like a bit of advice of what I should do. Should I ignore them or seek legal help with this matter. I think there maybe just trying to scare me into paying?
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.



They are trying to scare you. S152 relates to claims by one insurance co against another and requires the insurance company of the other party to give you and therefore your insurance company at least 7 days notice before they issue or have issued proceedings to recover any loss. I doubt you were covered by your insurance co when you kicked the other car. I would write back to insurance co and tell them about the compensation you were ordered to pay and the fact that the court took into account your means when they considered how much you had to pay and that also you are not covered by insurance as your alleged acts were not covered under your insurance. If they are covered by your insurance you need to inform your insurance co asap.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Today I received a small claim summons from the other parties insurance on his behalf. They are claiming £2,525.37.

It say on the letter that I have been convicted of vandalism for kicking his car but does not mention that the court took into account financial circumstances and awardered him £75 compensation.


I would just like advice on what to do.





JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: