Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

i am planning to get married to my tunisian boyfriend hopefully

i am planning to get married to my tunisian boyfriend hopefully in april in tunisia. can you tell me how i go about get the necessary documents?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
hi
do you mean for the wedding or for him to ocme to the uk?
claire
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i mean for the wedding over there

Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
hi
The following documents are necessary for BOTH parties if they wish to marry in Tunisia

(NOTE: all documents are required to be in French or Arabic and if necessary must be translated to these languages by a sworn translator. For a list of sworn translators click here)

•Your Passport (it must be valid- check the date)
•Your Birth Certificate (
•Proof of legal capacity to enter into a marriage contract - This is a certificate from a competent authority stating that no impediment exists to you entering in to the marriage. This document doesn't exist in the Uk and so you must execute an "affidavit of eligibility to marry" (a written declaration made under oath). This should be carried out at the british Embassy or consulate in Tunisia.
•Prenuptial Marriage Certificate - This is a medical certificate establishing your eligibility to be married (in Tunisia each party must be free of any contagious diseases - especially tuberculosis and syphilis, but also alcoholism and mental illness in order to marry). This certificate must have a maximum validity of two months at the time of marriage and the City Hall in Tunis will supply a printed form for this certificate upon request. All doctors practicing in Tunisia are authorized to perform these medical examinations.
NOTES:

It is illegal for men under the age of 20, or women under the age of 17 to marry. If the woman is under the age of 20 written consent from a parent or guardian is required.

A divorced woman cannot re-marry until a period of 3 months has lapsed since her divorce. If you have been married before you will need to produce all divorce decrees.

A widow cannot re-marry until 4 months and 10 days after the death of her spouse. You will need to produce the death certificate of your spouse and it must bear the official seal of the issuing authority

Foreign non-Muslim men and Tunisian Muslim women are forbidden to marry unless the man converts. The conversion process takes 3 months or more. A non-Muslim woman does not have to become Muslim in order to marry a Muslim man.

When both yourself and your fiance have presented all of these papers and satisfied all of the requirements listed above, the registrar at the local town hall (Municipalité) will be able to give you an appointment for the marriage to take place, usually within a few days.

A civil marriage ceremony (i.e. a legal ceremony, not a religious one) is conducted by the registrar at a town hall of any town, or at a private address before two notaries. The marriages rites are prescribed in Arabic. In some localities they may be read in French if you request it.

The law requires you have two male witnesses to your marriage and they must be over 20 years old. The official who will marry you must approve these two individuals capacity to stand as witnesses (ie. their age and they must be able to understand the declarations made in Arabic or French during the ceremony).
claire
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do i go about getting the 'affidavit of eligibility to marry' is i am in the uk? and i rad something about having to have resided in tunisia for 21 days, what does that mean?
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
hi
this should help
Certificate of no impediment to marriage: this is a time sensitive certificate so give your-self time to get this done. You need to have the details of your wedding with your fiancées details and go to your registry office and they will (for a fee) place a notice in the window for 21 days. After you have this take it to the embassy of your country in Tunisia (this is for UK) and they will issue you (for a fee) a French certificate of no impediment and keep the one from the UK.
you would probably also find this website
http://forum.tunisia.com/english-language-forums/
claire
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

go to which registry office? could you explain the last message because i am still confused

Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
hi
you will need to have the details posted in your local registry office and then take their certificate to th emebassy in tunisia wo will issue you with the certificate that you need
i have given you details of a website that i think you willfind helpful a there are many messages there from others who have been married in tunisia
claire
Clare, Solicitor
Experience: family solictor with 25 years experience