A. Stewart
A. Stewart, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister
11835546

Can my employer physically search me whilst I am at work, on

Can my employer physically search me whilst I am at work, on a random basis, and can my locker be searched at the same time without me being present? There is nothing in my contract of employment about this.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  lawNinvest replied 5 years ago.
What state, country or providence are you in please?

Thanks

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is also limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My employer has just started random physical searching of their staff without any info to the staff about this situation. Also at the same time as the person is being searched their locker is searched without them being present. I am worried that something could be planted in the locker and then that person is fired without notice. This could be an underhanded way of the employer getting rid of people that they don't want. Can they do this without my contract of employment being updated?

I live in Canterbury, Kent, United Kingdom (UK)

I see you are from the UK. Your question came into our US category, so I need to get our moderators to move it to our UK legal section. You will be notified when it is answered there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Many thanks,, I hope you can help me?
Well I cannot help you because I am from the U.S. But once your question is moved to the UK, you should get help from a UK expert.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Many thanks to you for a brilliant service. I look forward to receiving help from your UK people.
Expert:  A. Stewart replied 5 years ago.
Hi

You are in the UK Law section.

Your employer cannot just physically check you on a random basis without your consent or without consulting with you first and giving a reasonable explanation for the searches, if nothing regarding this is mentioned in your contract of employment and your company's policy.

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So far it has not been made clear to us what they are searching for, but they search your handbags, purses, and body, including credit cards, and very personal items that you may have in your bag for certain times of the month. Am I entitled to take a nominated person with me if taken to be searched? At the moment the personnel manager (male) and the person from the security company (male or female) are the only persons present, and this has caused feelings of embarassment and annoyance even though nothing is found on these people. We don't even know if these searches are being recorded...... Data protection etc.
Hi

You should demand an explanation for these private searches being conducted by the company and ask for someone of your choice to accompany you if you are not comfortable with the searches.

Regards.
A. Stewart, Barrister
Experience: Barrister
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much Mr Stewart for kind advice. I now feel much better knowing my rights concerning this situation. Should it become necessary, I shall carry out what you have advised. Many thanks again to you, your a darling.