A. Stewart
A. Stewart, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister

If i was denied entry to the UK, will that affect my travel

If i was denied entry to the UK, will that affect my travel plans to France?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  A. Stewart replied 5 years ago.
Hi

Could you kindly provide some more details regarding your situation to enable me to give you a specific answer?

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well i went to the United kingdom about 8 months ago to visit my boyfriend who lives there. They denied me entry to the country because they assumed i would stay there to be with him. They said they did not believe i would go home to the US after my 2 week stay. I talked to the American embassy and they said that this is very common for them to deny entry to people visiting a boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancee. Well now i want to meet my boyfriend in France this spring, but somebody told me that because i got denied entry to the UK, i wont be allowed to visit France or any other EU country. But i did not commit any crime as far as i know. I did tell the UK immigration that i was a waitress when im actually an dancer (i am just use to telling people that is my occupation because my work tells us to do so), and they looked up my work online and found out that it was a gentlemans club. They said because I was not honest about my work at home, that that ruined my credibility, so they did not believe i was going to leave the UK after my 2 weeks. However i had the impression they were not going to let me in anyways even before they found out what i did for work.

I have purchased a ticket to France and now i am afraid to go because of this. I have a new passport, but i didnt get a new one because of the denied entry stamp. I got it because my old one expired.. Somebody told me that when they swipe my passport, the deny entry from the UK will come up and they will use that as an excuse to deny me entry to France as well. I contacted the French embassy and they said as long as im not on a black list or something, that i should have no problem entering france, but they sounded very vague when they told me and they werent even listening to me anyways. As soon as i told them i was American, they basically went on about how i dont need a visa etc and they didnt want to hear anything else. I am just really nervous and afraid to go to Paris now. I dont want them to think i will stay there either or that im using France as a back door to get into England. And like i said, someone told me that because i got denied entry to England that i can no longer go to any EU countries.
Hi

Thanks for the clarification.

No, you have been given wrong information by someone. Even if you have been denied entry into the UK, this would not affect your entry into France and you would not be rejected for this. Both the UK and France have different immigration rules and a denial of entry in one country doesn't mean an automatic denial of entry in the other.

The information about your denial of entry in the UK would not be available to the French authorities. They only keep track of dangerous criminals such as sex offenders, terrorists, murderers,etc. and only information about them is shared between the different EU countries.

If you can prove all the criteria for visiting France, you would be allowed to enter without any problem.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
A. Stewart, Barrister
Experience: Barrister
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you sure about this? So when they swipe my passport in France, non of this UK business will come up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So i would not be on some black list for getting denied entry to the UK? Do you think the french IO quesitoning me will turn me away if they know i am meeting my UK boyfriend there for a vacation? Do i have to tell them that?
Hi

No, your name is XXXXX XXXXX to be on the watch list for getting denied entry to the UK as this list generally contains names of people who have committed serious crimes.

As far as I'm aware, the UK immigration authorities cannot share details about your personal details and application with the French authorities without your permission under the Data Protection Act, unless you are involved in some serious crimes.

However, I would advise you to answer truthfully if asked whether you have been denied entry to any other country otherwise you may face huge problems if this is found out in any way and your entry would be rejected on the grounds of deception.

I don't think they would turn you away if they know that you are meeting your boyfriend there for a vacation if you have enough proof that you are going to return back in the form of return air ticket, family commitments from the UK, employment commitments,etc.

Regards.