How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask lawsolved Your Own Question

lawsolved, Attorney
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 3244
Experience:  Immigration, Employment and general Commercial law experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
lawsolved is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my employer deduct anything from my wages without my consent

Resolved Question:

I am on my redundancy notice period and my employer has just infomed me he will deduct £150 from my wages. the amount is what he added extra a month ago, what is a share from my colleague's commission. she left before the commission was paid, so my manager decided he would divide her commission among 3 other employees, however he didn't ask us about it or even informed us (if he did, we would have said no, as the commission belonged to the colleague, as per contract). So anyway, he paid us the commission of the ex-colleague and when she started asking for it back, now he wants to deduct it from us, as he is scared of being sued by the ex-employee. Can he legally deduct the money from me?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  lawsolved replied 7 years ago.

An employer may not make deductions from an employee's wage, unless the following conditions are satisfied:

The deduction is required or authorised by a term in the employee's contract of employment.
The deduction is of a reasonable and fair amount having regard to all circumstances, including the amount of the wages.
Prior to the act or omission or the provision of the goods or services, the employee has been given a copy of the contract containing the term, if it is a written contract, or in any other case written notice of the existence and effect of the term.
Regarding acts or omissions, an employee must be given written particulars of the proposed deduction and the reason for it, at least one week prior to the making of the deduction.
Regarding a deduction for an employer's compensation for loss or damage in respect of an act or omission by an employee, the deduction must not exceed the amount of the loss or the cost of the damage.
Regarding a deduction in respect of the provision of goods or services, the deduction must not exceed the cost to the employer of the goods or services.
A deduction must take place within six months of the act or omission or of the provision of the goods or services. Where there are likely to be a series of deductions arising out of the same incident, the first deduction must be made not later than 6 months after the provision of the goods or services, or the act or omission becomes known to the employer.
An employer may only receive a payment in place of a deduction if the payment also satisfies the above conditions. Where an employer receives a payment instead of a deduction, he/she must immediately issue a receipt to the employee.

So iut does appear that if your employer gives you at least a week's written notice of the proposed deduction and citing the reasons for it, he may do it.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Expert:  lawsolved replied 7 years ago.

Do you have a further query?

Thank you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the response. I do have some questions though. I want to tell my manager that I do not agree to that deduction and my question is is there anything I can hold on to doing that? the company does not have the HR dept. and his knowledge of employment law is also not really extensive, so any small things will help. Here is what I wanted to include in my reply:
- it is not income tax, NI or a loan from the company
- the employment contract does not make specific provision for that kind of deduction*
- neither you or myself have agreed in writing to the deduction
- I spent the money in the valid belief that I was entitled to it.
- recovering the amount will leave me in financial difficulty, as I still remain unemployed and on my notice period which is about to end
- it is also not an overpayment made as a mistake,as you have voluntarily decided to pay the extra amount
- he never said anything about how the commissions were calculated, and as an employee I didn't have any reasons to check whether your calculations were right or wrong.The amount added extra was not dictinctive to me considering the whole amount I was paid that week and I was absolutely convinced this is what we would normally get.

do you think that would be enough to decline the deduction?
Expert:  lawsolved replied 7 years ago.

All that you say is fine. You could also add in a line at the beginning of your letter that you do not believe that the £150 will be a lawful deduction from your wages under the Employment Rights Act 1996 due to the reasons you set out and that you reserve your right to bring an Employment Tribunal claim if he makes the deduction.

Hope this helps

lawsolved, Attorney
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 3244
Experience: Immigration, Employment and general Commercial law experience
lawsolved and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It absolutely does help. Hope it will stop my employer (almost ex-employer) from the deduction.

Many thanks

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: