PTS Law Ltd
PTS Law Ltd, Personal Injury Consultants
Experience:  APIL (Association of Personal Injury Lawyers) 1st Tier Expert

how much will in cost to take out a restraining order on another

Customer Question

how much will in cost to take out a restraining order on another adult who has threatened and abused me
Category: UK Law
Expert:  PTS Law Ltd replied 7 years ago.
Dear Ramsey

Why are you contemplating expensive civil prceedings when you could simply report the matter to the police?

Be that as it may, legal costs would probably run out at something between £3k & £4k.

I hope that this answers your question and in that event, please click the 'Accept' button. If there are any points which require clarification I will be happy to continue the dialogue.

Feedback is helpful as it enables visitors to the site to assess the value of the advice available.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have already been to the police and this is what they have advised me to do to protect myself before the matter goes to court
Dear Ramsey,

I see. This makes my answer significantly different.

You should still instruct solicitors, but do it as a matter of the utmost urgency.

Normally, proceedings would be issued and the matter would proceed at the law's normal pace. In view of what you now tell me your solicitors will apply for what is known as an 'ex parte' injunction. This is an emergency hearing of which the defendant does not even need to have been given notice. As soon as a Judge hears that criminal proceedings are in hand, he will grant your application. The order will last for only a short period, usually 14 days, and be re-listed for a full hearing with notice of that hearing being served on the defendant. This will increase the costs, probably by several hundred pounds.

I trust that this now deals with everything and that you will now 'Accept' my answer.

I wish you luck