A. Stewart
A. Stewart, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister
11835546

How can you postpone a magistrates court hearing if a summons

Customer Question

How can you postpone a magistrates court hearing if a summons came on Friday two days prior to the hearing?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  A. Stewart replied 8 years ago.
Hi

I would advise you to get in touch with the court and them them know about this and they would be able to arrange an alternative date of hearing for you.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The hearing is at 10 o'clock in the morning - if I am not there will they find me in contempt?
<p>Can you kindly let me know the offence ?</p><p> </p><p>Regards.</p>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Driving without insurance for mother's car ; but have pleaded not guilty, because I have a foreign insurance valid abroad on a car with foreign reg (dual citizenship)
Since you have pleaded not guilty, you would have to attend court to explain your position on the date of hearing. If you do not attend, you may be held in contempt and the case may either be decided in your absence or a warrant of arrest would be issued against you.

Regards.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
But the summons arrived on a Friday! I can't even translate and legalize my foreign insurance document to present to the judge. And I need to be at university, and a lawyer who agreed to help me is on holiday! Is this normal practice to send a summons two days prior to the hearing? What if it arrived later, say, on Monday?
Hi

You should have at least 21 days notice of the hearing date. You must still attend the hearing, but can ask the court to put back the date of the hearing. This is called an adjournment.

Regards.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much! It is very important to know your rights!